Licence renewal for individuals
The CFP sends licence renewal notices to valid individual licence holders three months before the date of expiry. Before renewing your licence, you will need:
- current spousal information (including date of birth, address and phone number)
- previous spousal information (including date of birth, address and phone number) if within the last two (2) years
- payment information (credit card)
- electronic (digital) version of your photo
If available, your current or former spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner may sign the application electronically.
You cannot renew your firearms licence online if any of the following conditions apply:
- you are requesting a religious exemption from providing a photograph with your licence
- you already have a licence renewal application in progress
- your licence has expired or is otherwise no longer valid
- your licence is a Minor's Licence
To renew your firearms licence, you must provide your firearms licence number and other personal identification information. When the CFP confirms your identity, you can verify the status of your application.
To renew your firearms licence, you can:
- complete an online application using Individual Web Services; or
- complete and submit an Application for Renewal of a Firearms Licence for an Individual (form RCMP 5614).
Submitting your licence photo online
Online licence renewal will allow you to attach a digital photo. You must submit a digital image with your application. The image must be the correct file type and may be rejected if it does not meet the requirements.
- File type: .Jpg or .Jpeg
- File size: greater than 200 kb and less than 6MB
- Dimensions: minimum 280 pixels wide x 370 pixels high
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (Tip: turn the camera so that it is in the 'portrait' position, not landscape.)
- must be less than 12 months old
- must show a full front view of your head and shoulders; head centred, with a clear gap around the sides and top of head, including hair
- must have a plain, light-coloured background with a strong contrast between the image and the background, with no shadows
- 2/3 of the photo must be of your head, including your hair. For comparison, if you were submitting a hard copy photo, your head in the photograph would need to be at least 30 mm (1 3/16") high; as an example, the image size could be 45 mm (1 3/4") wide by 57 mm (2 1/4") high.
- must be in focus, with no red-eye and no reflected light on the face
- must have your eyes open, no hair across your face or eyes, no sunglasses or hat
- must be showing eyes clearly through glasses, with no reflection
- must not be altered in any way
- must be a photo of you only (no group photos)
- must not be a photo of another photo or another piece of government photo ID
- Date modified: