Non-residents must be 18 years of age or older to use a firearm in Canada or to bring one into the country.

Visiting Canada

If you are coming into Canada with a firearm, please fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form before you arrive at your entry point into Canada to save you time. Do not sign the form; a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) customs officer must witness your signature. The fee is $25.

After a CBSA customs officer signs your Declaration, it is a temporary licence and it is valid for 60 days.

  • The Declaration is only valid for the person who signs it and only for the firearm(s) listed on it.
  • If you are bringing more than three firearms into Canada, please fill out a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet.
  • The Declaration does not permit you to borrow firearms in Canada.
  • The Declaration allows you to buy ammunition in Canada for the firearms listed on it.
  • You can renew your Declaration for free before it expires. Please contact the Chief Firearms Officer of the province or territory.


  1. If you visit Canada often or for longer periods of time, we encourage you to apply for a Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) .
  2. If you already have a firearms licence, and the registration certificates for any restricted firearms, you only need to show those documents to CBSA officers when you enter Canada. You can make an oral declaration. There is no fee.
  3. You do not need to complete the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration if you have a PAL. However, you must still declare the firearm to the CBSA customs officer.

Borrowing firearms in Canada

You do not need a licence if you want to borrow a firearm in Canada, as long as you are under the direct and immediate supervision of a licensed adult. Otherwise, you will need a PAL or a confirmed Temporary Firearms Borrowing Licence (for Non-residents).

You will need a sponsor associated with the intended activity, for example, an outfitter or a Canadian resident licensed to hunt in the province where you will be hunting. The sponsor can apply on your behalf. The licence is valid for 60 days and costs $30 Canadian.

A temporary borrowing licence permits the following:

  • hunting under the supervision of an outfitter or other person authorized to organize hunting services in Canada
  • hunting with a Canadian resident who has the proper firearms licence and hunting licence
  • competing in a shooting competition
  • target shooting at an approved shooting club or range
  • taking part in an historical re-enactment or display
  • engaging in a business or scientific activity in a remote area where you need firearms to control animal predators
  • taking part in a parade, pageant, or other similar event
  • using firearms for movie, television, video, or theatrical productions, or publishing activities

If you are a non-resident minor, please see Note 3.

Moving to Canada

To have a firearm in Canada, you must have a PAL. A PAL allows you to get and have a specified class, or classes, of firearms. You must meet the firearms-safety training requirements before you apply for a PAL.

If you have any questions about visiting or moving to Canada, call the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000.

Date modified: