A registration certificate identifies a firearm and links the firearm to its owner. You need a registration certificate for restricted and prohibited firearms.


You can only register a firearm if you have a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and the firearm was verified. You must have a valid registration certificate for each restricted or prohibited firearm you own.

  • Any certificate issued under the former firearms legislation (prior to December 1, 1998) is no longer valid
  • All registration certificates issued under the former legislation expired on December 31, 2002. Restricted firearms registered in the former system have to be re-registered under the Firearms Act to update the information

Before you can register a firearm, an approved verifier must verify it if any of the following apply:

  • You are registering it for the first time
  • You are transferring it to a new owner and it has not previously been verified
  • It has been modified so that its description has changed
  • The Registrar requests that it be verified to confirm the description or classification

Use Individual Web Services to register restricted firearms that have never been registered in Canada (for example, new imports) or to re-register firearms that were registered to someone under the former law (prior to December 1, 1998).

You must provide:

  • your firearms licence number and other personal identification information
  • the verifier's name and identification number
  • the date the firearm was verified
  • the Firearms Reference Table number provided by the verifier

If you cannot determine the class of your firearm, call the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) at 1-800-731-4000 and ask to speak with a firearms technician.

If you have not yet re-registered your restricted firearms, you must do so as soon as possible or you must dispose of them lawfully. You can re-register them online or you can submit a paper application (form RCMP 5624). There is no fee. You can check the status of your application online.

Old firearms that do not work still need to be registered (if they are restricted or prohibited), unless either of the following apply:

  • the firearm meets the definition of an antique
  • the firearm is permanently deactivated and incapable of discharging projectiles

An RCMP forensic expert may have to examine the firearm to determine whether it is permanently incapable of discharging projectiles.


  • A firearm is only registered once. If the firearm changes hands to a new owner, simply transfer the existing ownership. Contact the CFP to do this
  • If you borrow a restricted or prohibited firearm, you must also borrow the registration certificate
  • If you are a non-resident and do not have a PAL, you may qualify for other options
  • You can laminate your paper registration certificates to protect them from wear and tear


Businesses register the firearms in their possession for sale and then transfers firearms to an individual when purchased. Businesses can use Business Web Services to complete this process.

All restricted or prohibited firearms in a business's inventory, including frames and receivers that have not yet been assembled as complete firearms, need to be registered.

  • Canadian sourced firearms: Restricted or prohibited firearms acquired from a Canadian source will be registered to the business during the transfer process
  • New imports: To register newly imported restricted or prohibited firearms or firearms manufactured by the business, please submit form RCMP 5489. This form can be downloaded or obtained by calling the CFP at 1-800-731-4000


To replace a lost, stolen or damaged registration certificate, please submit a Firearms Documents Replacement Request (form RCMP 5515). Up to four (4) registration certificates can be replaced for a total of $10 if all replacements are requested at the same time.

Date modified: