Shooting clubs and ranges
As set out in the Shooting Club and Shooting Ranges Regulations, a "shooting range" is "a place that is designed or intended for the safe discharge, on a regular and structured basis, of firearms for the purpose of target practice or target shooting competitions."
All shooting ranges operate under the approval of the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the province or territory in which they are located, unless
- they are on the premises of a licensed firearms business and are used only by licensed owners and employees of that business; or
- they are only used by public agents, such as police officers, in relation to their lawful employment duties.
Call the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) at 1-800-731-4000 to check whether a club or range you want to join is approved by the provincial or territorial Chief Firearms Officer.
Transporting your firearm to a club or range
To get an Authorization to Transport (ATT) firearms, you can use one of the following methods:
- call the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000;
- apply for an Authorization to Transport online by accessing the Individual Web Services; or
- complete and submit an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Firearms (form RCMP 5490)
Range design and construction guidelines
The most recent version of The Range Design and Construction Guidelines is now available. Please email the Canadian Firearms Program at email@example.com to obtain a copy of the document.
Setting up target shooting on your property
Check with your municipality to see if firearms can lawfully be discharged in your area. Contact the Chief Firearms Officer of your province or territory to find out if the place where you will be target shooting must be approved under the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations.
Your Chief Firearms Officer can give advice on how to
- make your range safe
- ensure that projectiles do not stray onto neighbouring property
- make sure there are adequate warning systems in place to tell people they are entering a shooting area
- Date modified: