On December 9, 2022 at approximately 9:45 p.m., Creighton RCMP received a report of a break-in at a residence in Denare Beach. Investigation determined a firearm safe with six firearms was stolen.
On December 10, 2022, Creighton RCMP received a report of a person with a firearm at a property in Denare Beach. Officers immediately responded and did not locate the person. No injuries were reported.
As a result of further investigation into both incidents, Creighton RCMP executed a search warrant at a residence in Denare Beach with the assistance of Flin Flon RCMP, Cranberry Portage RCMP and conservation officers with the Provincial Protective Services Branch. They located and seized five rifles, two handguns, a number of magazines with ammunition, and a quantity of psilocybin and illegal cannabis.
Investigation determined some of the firearms recovered were reported as stolen in the December 9 break-in, while others were reported stolen in other previous break-ins in the area.
Two males, an adult and a youth, were arrested at the residence.
The youth, who cannot be identified as per the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested for breaching a deferred custody order. He has been remanded into custody until his next appearance in court in Creighton on January 9, 2023.
Ethan Merasty, 22, of Denare Beach, is charged with 36 Criminal Code offences:
- two counts, unlicensed possession of a restricted firearm with readily-accessible ammunition, Section 95(2), Criminal Code
- four counts, possession of a firearm knowing it was obtained by the commission of an offence, Section 96(2), Criminal Code
- seven counts, possession of a firearm while prohibited, Section 117.01(3), Criminal Code
- six counts, fail to comply with probation order, Section 733.1(1), Criminal Code
- five counts, unsecured storage of a firearm, Section 86(2), Criminal Code
- four counts, unauthorized possession of a prohibited weapon, Section 91(3), Criminal Code
- six counts, unlicensed possession of a firearm, Section 92(3)(a), Criminal Code
- one count, possession of illicit cannabis, Section 86(1)b), Cannabis Act
- one count, possession (psilocybin), Section 4(1), Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
Ethan Merasty is next scheduled to appear in La Ronge Provincial Court on December 15, 2022.
After further investigation, officers arrested and charged Robin Merasty, 41, of Denare Beach with:
- one count, unsafe storage of a firearm, Section 86(2), Criminal Code
- one count, possession of property obtained by crime less than $5,000, Section 354(1)(a), Criminal Code
- one count, unauthorized possession of a prohibited weapon, Section 91(3), Criminal Code
Robin Merasty will appear in court in Creighton on February 14, 2023.
Creighton RCMP continue to investigate the origin of some of the seized firearms and the circumstances of the theft. Anyone with information should call Creighton RCMP at 306-688-8888. Information can also be submitted anonymously by contacting Saskatchewan Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or www.saskcrimestoppers.com.