On January 28, at approximately 1:16 p.m., Cumberland County District RCMP responded to a complaint of shots fired in an apartment on Junction Rd., Springhill. RCMP officers learned that a number of gun shots were heard shortly after 1 p.m.
Police immediately attended the residence locating a 54-year-old man, arresting him safely. There was no one else in the residence and no injuries incurred in the incident. The apartment was damaged consistent with bullet holes.
William Kenneth Matthews, 54, has been charged with:
- Possession of a Firearm (two counts);
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm (two counts);
- Unsafe Storage of a Firearm (two counts);
- Careless Use of a Firearm (three counts);
- Careless Storage of Ammunition;
- Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to Public Peace (two counts);
Matthews was held in custody and scheduled to appear in Amherst Provincial Court on January 30, at 9:30 a.m.
The investigation is ongoing and being assisted by the RCMP Forensic Identification Services.
File #: 2023-127710