About the RCMP
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is more than just Canada's national police service. We have been part of the fabric of Canada since 1873 – almost 150 years. We are one of only a few police services recognized around the world for both our policing excellence and our image – the "Mountie".
Over the last century-and-a-half, we have grown and evolved with and for Canadians. The result is a more modern, diverse and inclusive RCMP that serves with honour and pride to keep Canadians safe.
From coast-to-coast-to-coast, at the community, provincial, territorial and federal levels, we work to:
- prevent crime
- enforce the law
- investigate offences
- keep Canadians, and their interests, safe and secure
- assist Canadians in emergency situations/incidents
We also offer our renowned expertise at the international level by:
- providing specialized training for police officers
- conducting international policing activities, including peacekeeping
- sharing intelligence with trusted partners to support investigations, as well as disrupt and dismantle criminal operations
RCMP core responsibilities
We operate within 3 main areas of responsibility:
We work in over 700 detachments in 150 communities across the country. We also provide policing services in more than 600 Indigenous communities.
Read more about the risks and challenges in modern policing and how we're addressing them in our Strategic Plan.
We are represented by more than 19,000 police officers, and supported by over 11,000 civilian members and public servants. Our strength is in delivering high-quality work that keeps our communities safe.
The breakdown of our workforce by position as of April 1, 2021, is:
- Commissioner: 1
- Deputy Commissioners: 6
- Assistant Commissioners: 26
- Chief Superintendents: 54
- Superintendents: 179
- Inspectors: 339
- Corps Sergeant Major: 1
- Sergeants Major: 10
- Staff Sergeants Major: 8
- Staff Sergeants: 830
- Sergeants: 1,993
- Corporals: 3,641
- Constables: 11,970
- Special Constables: 106
- Public Service employees: 8,307
- Civilian members: 3,087
- Total: 30,558
- Date modified: