Authorization to carry

Using a firearm for wilderness protection

In general, the only firearms allowed for wilderness protection are:

  • non-restricted rifles
  • shotguns

However, you may be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for wilderness protection or for lawful occupational purposes if you:

  • are a Canadian resident
  • have a licence that allows you to possess restricted firearms

You must also:

  • be a licensed professional trapper or
  • need protection from wild animals while working at your lawful occupation, most often in a remote wilderness location

Carrying handguns and restricted long guns

If you want to request authorization to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for a lawful occupational purpose, you must obtain an Authorization to Carry (ATC) from the Canadian Firearm Program.

To apply for an ATC, you must:

Date modified: